"When understood, the Buddha’s universe..is anything but alien and inhibiting. It is a world full of hope, where everything we need to do can be done and everything that matters is within human reach. It is a world where kindness, unselfishness, non-violence, and compassion achieve what self-interest and arrogance cannot. It is a world where any human can be happy in goodness and the fullness of giving." ❦ Eknath Easwara

September 4, 2011

Because I Lay On My Back as Boy

WATCHING

by Richard Hoffman

Because I lay on my back as a boy in the grass of the small yard
behind our house watching clouds move and become faces, mostly,

I was able to sit for a long time holding my dying mother's hand as
her sleeping face changed like a field in the sun under moving clouds,

and to hold my newborn grandson now and watch his features changing
moment to moment, propelled by some inner wind I suppose must be like dreaming,

and because this watching is above, after, and before words, I am
unable to describe what I believe I understand and how it comforts
and sustains me.
For more in-depth dharma articles and instruction, visit:  METTA REFUGE
♡♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment