by Jack Kerouac from “Some of the Dharma”
1. Unselfish giving for others, DANA, radiant & selfless
2. Moral purity, kindness, SILA, sympathy, absence of craving
3. Forbearance, patience, KSHANTI, endurance, forgiveness
4. Energy, enthusiasm, VIRYA, effort for the ideal
5. Dhyana concentration, DHYANA PARAMITA, 4 stages of meditation
6. Wisdom, insight, PRAJNA PARAMITA, absence of conceptions and illusions
from the Japanese Soto Zen tradition
Dana - May I be generous and helpful.
Sila - May I be pure and virtuous.
Kshanti - May I be patient and able to bear and forbear the wrongs of others.
Virya - May I be strenuous, energetic, and persevering.
Dhyana - May I practice meditation and attain concentration and oneness to serve all beings.
Pranja - May I gain wisdom and be able to give the benefit of my wisdom to others.